Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ink Jet Transfer

This is a small 8x10 canvas. The photo transfer of the boys is done on a separate piece of canvas and then layered onto the stretched canvas. The photo transfer is an ink jet transfer done by printing out the photo, then laying onto a layer of gel medium spread onto the surface you want to transfer to. I've only ever done this technique onto canvas/fabric, not sure it would work on paper, but I don't see why not. Then run your brayer over the top of it. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes and then pull the edge up to see if it's transfering, if so carefully pull it off.
This is not an easy technique to master, this one here is actually my 3rd try. It's a trick figuring out just how much gell medium to use. I suppose as you do it more often it becomes easier.

2 comments:

Name: Roberta said...

I like this one...love the photo... you'll have to show me sometime what it is you do for this technique... I don't get it from what you post? But then I don't know all that stuff you use either..sooo...

BTW...can't wait till tonite! To go see Jesus Christ Super Star...been listening to some clips from the soundtrack this morning... see ya there tonite!

Mel♥ said...

ok i am requesting a tutorial with pics for your ink jet transfer.. i did one last week with packing tape and it was a flop. you can see it on my blog HERE its really bad!! when you click on the image you can see where my tape curled and the pic faded real bad!! what the heck did i do wrong??? yours is so perfect! yes you did gel and i did tape but its the whole ink jet thing that wont work for me!!!